Physiotherapy Cold Laser and Spinal Decompression for Spinal Stenosis
Spinal Stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal canal, which puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. There are different types of spinal stenosis which include cervical, thoracic and lumbar. Lumbar (low back) stenosis is the most common form of spinal stenosis. Cervical (neck) stenosis is the second most common type of spinal stenosis, however, this type is more dangerous because it compresses the spinal cord itself and can lead to more serious symptoms.
Causes of Spinal Stenosis:
The most common cause of spinal stenosis is aging. As you get older, tissue that supports the spine can get thick, bones and joints can get bigger and bone spurs can develop, all of which can lead to spinal stenosis. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis can also contribute to the development of spinal stenosis. Individuals are sometimes born with small spinal canals or a curved spine (scoliosis), which are hereditary factors. Spinal stenosis can also be due to trauma to the spine, a herniated vertebral disk or tumor on the spine.
Signs and Symptoms of Spinal Stenosis:
- Numbness, tingling or weakness in the legs, arms, feet, or hands
- Nerves to the bladder may be affected leading to urinary incontinence
- Pain or difficulty walking
- Pain or discomfort standing
- Structural deformity
- Pain at night
Physiotherapy Treatment of Spinal Stenosis:
Physiotherapy is often used to maintain the flexibility and stability of your spine. Physiotherapists prescribe exercises for the muscles of the back to build up your strength and endurance, and help improve your balance. Walkers or canes can also help to improve stability by letting you bend forward when you are walking. Pain symptoms can sometimes be relieved with ice packs or heating pads over the affected area of the spine.
At Ace Physio some of the unique and effective treatments for Spinal Stenosis includes:
- Spinal Decompression is used to distract the joints, relieving pressure on the nerves.
- Laser Therapy can be effective for reducing inflammtion and pain safely
- Acupuncture can help to reduce pain along the nerves and reduce tight muscles in the back or neck